Tuesday, August 30, 2016

TOP TEN TUESDAY #15: Back to School Book List!!


Hosted by Jamie, Jana and Lauren of BrokeandBookish.com, Top Ten Tuesdays is a weekly book meme that presents top ten lists on Tuesdays that promotes favorite bookish themes.

This week's theme:

August 30: Back To School Freebie -- anything "back to school" related like 10 favorite books I read in school, books I think should be required reading, Required Reading For All Fantasy Fans, required reading for every college freshman, Books to Pair With Classics or Books To Complement A History Lesson, books that would be on my classroom shelf if I were a teacher


These are eight books I think every student should read in school. 

8. Harry Potter Series by JK Rowling

I think every elementary and middle school student needs to read this series, at least the first book. The concepts of freindship, bravery, love, trust, teamwork and becoming your own hero are great influences that children can pick up in this series. Plus, the imagery and character development from JK Rowling doesn't hurt either. 

7. Shakespeare Plays

I read a lot of Shakespeare plays in school, definitely Romeo & Juliet, Hamlet, Macbeth, and Othello. Those plays set me up for my appreciation of theater, scriptwriting and set design. I did dance as a kid all the way up to high school, so I knew about set design, but from reading it in Shakespeare was way different, so I feel like any child and teen should grow up to read these too. 

6. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

I haven't read the book, but I've seen the movies (both the old and new versions), and I think it's important for students to get a glimpse of how things were back in the early days of London. Not only do they understand it in an international perspective, but they get a taste of how social standards were. How the social standards between the rich and middle-class were, and how tightly bound they were; money and pride played its own character through Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy and their families. 

5. Lord of the Flies by William Golding

This movie freaked me out as a kid!! I also read the book, which also freaked me out. The whole prospect of these little boys stuck on an island trying to survive, which later turns into a "survival of the fittest" and threatening each other. There's a pig's head being chopped off and used as a talking stick!! It's a lot for young kids to deal with and take in at school, but I still think it's important for them to read, to understand what groupthink and morality actually means.

4. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon

This book was very interesting in terms of a young boy with autism, who is incredibly intelligent, and he finds his neighbor's dead dog stabbed with a fork outside his lawn. And he investigates who killed the dog, but he discovers more about his family history and himself and his condition. This book is important for students to understand how mental and behavioral health works, especially with children, that they can't get with a science or medical textbook. 

3. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

I believe that every student should read this book for the survival of the fittest aspects, just like Lord of the Flies. But with this book, there's not much team effort, other than Katniss and Peeta working together to win the war. There's also bits of romance, reality tv, and drama immersed in the book, and I think it will work well in class discussions. 

2. On the Road by Jack Kerouac

While I've never read the book, I've seen the 2012 movie starring Kristen Stewart and Garrett Hedlund so many times to know that students should at least read the book once. The movie is about adventures, meeting new people, getting out of your comfort zone, and enjoying who you are. I think every student should read the books to get the same feeling.

1. Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson

Again, I never read the book, but I've seen the 2007 movie starring Josh Hutcherson and AnnaSophia Robb, and I loved it as a kid. I loved how these two poor, lonely kids came together and used their imaginations to create their own world within the forest. The movie was so cool for me, and I hope that the book can give off that same feeling for students.

I'd love to hear which books you think students should read in school. Leave comments below!


Subscribe to my blog for more! 

Follow me on:


Thanks for reading! :) ♥
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...