Wednesday, December 14, 2016

TOP 5 WEDNESDAY (December 14): Series That Got Worse with Each Book/Season


Hey guys! This is a new feature I joined from Goodreads' Top 5 Wednesdays, a weekly book group about our top five favorite things in the middle of the week.

Created by Lainey from GingerReadsLainey and now hosted by Samantha from ThoughtsonTomes, this week's entry describes Series That Got Worse with Each Book/Season:

December 14th - Series That Got Worse with Each Book/Season 
I opened this topic up to TV as well (which T5W is always open to by the way if you can't think of book answers), but I think this topic is especially good for books and TV. What series started out strong but got increasingly worse with each book? 


5. Empire

Image result for empire season 3

I may or may not get in trouble for this one because I cover the show for TV After Dark, another blog I write and livetweet for. But even I admit that the show hasn't been that great anymore since season 2. When I first watched the show back in 2013, I was so excited to see my queen Taraji P. Henson get her big break as Cookie! And Terrence Howard playing the powerful bastard Lucious fit in so well with the story. The three sons, Andre, Jamal and Hakeem, all had their own personal issues but when they came together, they made some badass music! The music kept me watching the show for this long, because it just kept getting better. But now that we're in season three, this season has been very slow and they leave the most exciting parts at the last five minutes of the episode. Hopefully, if Empire gets picked up for season four, the producers and writers will rely less on shock and awe and give Rhonda (Andre's dead wife) a freaking funeral already!

4. Once Upon a Time

Image result for once upon a time

When this show first aired, I was so excited to see all of my favorite Disney characters from my childhood come on screen. Plus, they had a built-in family story, which I had found very interesting. The first two seasons of OUAT were really good, but then around season five, where Emma went dark, was when the show started to become boring and ridiculous. I haven't watched it at all recently, but my mom sometimes watches it lol. I don't think she pays much attention to the details, though. 

3. Divergent

Image result for divergent

Ok so I know a lot of people say that Divergent was the worst series that got increasingly worse with each book, but I think only the second and third books were bad. The first book was great; I loved how Veronica took this ordinary girl from a normal faction and turned her into a warrior when she crossed over to Dauntless. But then after Tris' parents died, it's like she turned into this revengeful, hateful, selfish person who was only out to kill Jeanine. And she didn't even kill Jeanine; Four's mom did!! So she died for nothing!! Stupid!! And don't even get me started on Allegiant. Anyway.......I could go on and on about books 2 and 3, but if they were executed the way book 1 was, I would have liked it more. 

2. Vampire Diaries

Image result for vampire diaries

Another show that started out in a spectacular way, but then got continuously worse when they killed off Katherine, abandoned Klaus (but now he has his own spin-off show, The Originals, which I've heard is very good), and kept screwing poor Bonnie over. Bonnie is one of the fiercest witches in Mystic Falls, and she kept having to save people who didn't deserve it, especially Elena. I watched the last season right before actress Nina Dobrev left the show, and haven't looked back since. 

1. Mockingjay

Image result for mockingjay part 2

While I didn't hate this book as much as a lot of people did, it just made me super sad in the end. With all of the deaths, war, diabolical politicians, Presidents Snow and Coin, the insufferable Katniss-Gale-Peeta love triangle (even though she was always going to be with Peeta in the end), Mockingjay just made me lose the taste for dystopian societies in YA. 

So those are my books and TV shows that went downhill with each book/season. I'd love to know your choices in the comments below!


Follow me on:


Thanks for reading! :) ♥
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...