Tuesday, May 9, 2017

TOP TEN TUESDAY #34: Things On Our Reading Wishlist


Hosted by Jamie, Jana and Lauren of BrokeandBookish.com, Top Ten Tuesdays is a weekly book meme that presents top ten lists on Tuesdays that promotes favorite bookish themes.

This week's theme:

Ten Things On Our Reading Wishlist (topic originally done January 2014) -- things you want to see more of in books -- tropes, a time period, a specific type of character, an issue tackled, a certain plot, etc. All those things that make you think I WANT MORE OF THIS IN BOOKS!




5. Diversity, in all it's rightful glory.
Whether that's more black, female protagonists in sci-fi and fantasy, books about mental illnesses, disabilities, sexualities, the LGBT community and more, I'd love to see more bouts of diversity in YA and NA books. I read more YA than NA but with the right material, I could learn more about the latter.

4. A normalized, less "strong, confident" female lead character.
As a woman, I'm always here for strong, confident, badass female characters. Especially if the story centers around them being badass. Even some of the contemporaries I've read have a weak girl who becomes a strong, confident, gives-0-fcks woman by the end. I'd like to read more books that have a female that starts off unsure and ends up still unsure, but more grounded. And on her own, not with best friends or a man helping her.

3. More lesser-known historical moments.
Had I not watched Hidden Figures, I never would have known about those three magnificent women who helped put the first man in space at NASA. I want more stories like that. The stories about the hidden figures in the world.

2. Unconventional romances.
Especially in YA, there's mostly always the strong, confident male and the soft, delicate female, or vice versa. I'd like to see something outside the box, like "uncouth fitness-freak and repressed public schoolboy?” (taken from inconsistentpacing.wordpress.com). I've only read one book where the both characters are not fighting for dominance, and just focus on being together. I'd like to read more of that.

1. Polyamorous relationships.
I've just recently "discovered" polyamory and polygamy, and while I think it's a little far-fetched for me personally to do, I'd like to read a story about how the whole system of it works. (Wow that was a really long sentence, sorry lol!) How do three or more people fall in love with each other, without it being weird or competitive?

So those are my top things on my reading wishlist. What are some of yours? Leave them in the comments below.


Follow me on:

Thanks for reading! :) ♥
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...